Thursday, November 1, 2012

What is life like for those who live in Lance's country?


I've been so excited about bringing our boy home and have been reading and taking everything I possibly can in.  I was reminded last week by my mom that I already knew someone from Lance's country!!! (Well, in a round about way)  There was a man who had lived with some friends of ours and had gone to our church a few years ago.  I had met him, but not really talked to him much....until now!  I found him on facebook (Thanks Facebook ;-) ) and asked him if I could learn a little more about him and his country.  He has very kindly shared and been very open about the reality of the lives of people in this Eastern European country. 
"At the moment (L's country) is a bit of a mess (actually since I remember myself (L's country) it of a mess . . .my mom likes to say that in the last 25 years we are always in an economic crisis).
I would not say that the government takes good care of its people. There are constant raises in the price of all goods, but salaries and pensions are staying the same with years.
After I finished my studies in the US, I went back to (L's country) . 
I was all enthusiastic and full of hope and faith. I thought that I can live the simple live, and do my part for the better of society. I got a job in the orchestra in my Town (a professional orchestra on a government salary), and received about 250-300$ per month brut income, after taxes and retirement funds subtractions the net income would drop down to ~200$. With that much money a man can only buy bread and cheese (and as my mom pointed out, when she visited with me in the U.S., some of the goods -food and clothing that is- are actually a lot cheeper in the U.S.). . . After 30 years of working in one of the main hospitals in (L's country) (and being a Chief-Nurse for 15), her salary doesn't reach 500$ per month. My grandma receives about 100-150$, and she has to by medicaments that cost at least 20$, so about a fifth of her pension goes for her pills, and the government does not do anything, and to make it worse she has not received a raise in her income the last 3 years even though the price of everything (literally) goes up.
It is hard for the regular people, and I can imagine that it is even harder for the people with special needs (orphans included).
I am not just bashing the government and pointing out how horrid it is, this are just the facts.
So I am very happy for the little Lance :-)
Do not take me wrongly, I love (L's country). There is nothing like breathing the air, listening to the music, and being with my folks. Just that there is a general sense of burden. When I go home, all my acquaintances say: "I hope you are here only to visit, and not for good!"

We are so spoiled here in America, and I have to confess at how often I forget how much.  I was looking at houses in L's country that are for sale last night and the most expensive homes in some regions were not equal to a modest home in the US.  God has continued to be merciful to our country and to those of us that have been blessed to be born and live here.  Thank You for the reminder, Lord! 

Mark 9:36-37

36 Then He took a little child and set him in the midst of them. And when He had taken him in His arms, He said to them, 37 “Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment