Sunday, October 4, 2015

Al

I know, I know...I dropped off the advocacy bandwagon. I will tell you (or maybe show you) exactly why:

I would see a waiting child that would tear at my heart and I would advocate and beg for a family for him/her.  Often times they got families! (Augustin, Sadie, Chad...) Sometimes they only just got to meet their earthly family before going to Heaven.  Sometimes they never found a family or comfort on earth.  It's heart wrenching and emotionally draining.  So I got busy, excuse, excuse, blah, blah, blah...and quit even looking. Until last week when God starting pulling at me again and I LOOKED, once again I looked. Looked at the children, the souls, the lives, that were (ARE) hurting and broken.

I asked -
Why not adopt?
Why not advocate?
Why not sponsor?
Why not?!

Because "our plate is full" (I have to get up around 6 or 7 a.m and love and tend to children all day and often in the night...i.e they give me kisses and hugs, tell me they love me, and for those that can't they smile and cuddle my shoulder)  Hmm...maybe I should have a second plate! ;)
Because we have no money (Sure, we have internet, a computer, clothes that are clean and fit, new shoes, a running car that is safe, food in the refrigerator and pantry, and a home...oh and did I mention clean water, indoor plumbing, electricity...?)
Because we already adopted 2!  (All I can say here is that I am SOOO grateful that God didn't stop at Adam and Eve and say His work was done because He had saved 2)
Because our other children might not want to. (This is a legitimately good reason! Unless, of course, you've talked to your children and they have told you that they would happily donate their prized possessions if it would help bring another child home)
Because people will think I'm crazy! (They probably already do! But even if that's a new development, do I care enough about what a stranger or acquaintance is going to think about me enough to sacrifice a child's life?)
Because my husband says no. (Well, that IS a deal breaker - in adoption you both have to be ok with the decision because without that support it's impossibly hard for EVERYONE!)

When all else fails go to the Bible, right?  What does God say about it?


  • Proverbs 31:8-9(NIV)

8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.9 Speak up and judge fairly;defend the rights of the poor and needy.

  • Matthew 18:1-5 (NIV)

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.
    • James 1:27 (NIV)

    27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

      Now, I looked and I see THIS child: Al




    Al is  TEN years old and about the size Lance was when we brought him home almost 2 years ago.
    This was Lance at THREE years old


    PLEASE ask yourself the tough questions and decide what you can do to help children like Al.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment